What is the purpose of the assignment?
This challenging assignment is part of a larger project with as goal the development of a tool to compile a salad meal based on respiration, gas composition and packaging. This assignment will be a first step towards this tool.
The assignment will focus on:
- Listing main product groups that are expected to have the same optimal gas composition;
- Elaboration of a number of reference salad meals to determine the effect of individual elements;
- By combining
- Literature review on gas compositions under different circumstances and its effect on shelf life and quality, and;
- Literature review on product specific factors effecting shelf life, such as variety, origin and preprocessing, and;
- Experimental work to determine respiration rates, and;
- Experimental work to determine preferred gas compositions and packaging requirements.
Which organization are you going to work for?
Plukon Food Group is in Europe one of the largest companies on the market of poultry meat with eleven slaughter houses and multiple processing and packaging plants in the Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, France, Spain and Poland. In addition, we develop, produce and market ultra-fresh and pasteurized meals. Over 6000 people work for Plukon Food Group.
Plukon Convenience Dronten produce freshly cut ready to eat and ready to heat vegetables, packaged in flow packs. Besides, they produce chilled salad dishes, salad meals and fruits salads. For meal salads, protein and carbohydrate based raw materials are used on top of cut vegetables, as well as other toppings. Last, dressings for internal use in salad meals and salad dishes are processed and packaged.